Football over again for Rio Grande Valley high school teams

Turn out the lights, the party’s Over — for the last of the Rio Grande Valley high school teams.
In Friday games, the Harlingen Cardinals, who held a second quarter 17-7 lead over Spring Valley, lost by 35-20, San Benito was eliminated 41-15 by Schertz Clements, and previously unbeaten Edinburg Vela was sent to the showers, 49-39.
In Class 6A Division I, the Cardinals had a slim halftime edge, but could not contain the Rangers in the second half. Spring Valley goes on, facing Converse Judson.
The San Benito Greyhounds trailed 27-0 at halftime and could never get the right momentum. in Class 6A Division II.
Edinburg Vela, which was the only unbeaten Valley team, fell 49-39 to Austin Vandergrift, in Class 5A Division I.
Top ranked Cedar Park eliminated Edcouch-Elsa 42-0, in Class 5A, Division II

22 comments for “Football over again for Rio Grande Valley high school teams

1. Gage D.
    November 28, 2015 at 2:51 pm

The Cardinals put up a hell of a fight and return 14 starters next year! Jerry Deal comments: Good, maybe they can get past the San Antonio bunch. Also, remember that Donna years ago won the state championship in their division, being underdogs most of the way.

2. Longhorn8282
    November 29, 2015 at 2:17 pm

Lol…when pigs fly…valley football some of the worst in the state…remember Reagan…the only reason these games are as close as they are is the SA schools look at the valley schools like a bye week…before you call me a hater…look at the last 40 years of valley football

• Angry Man
      November 30, 2015 at 5:39 pm

In san antonio this past week is known as Valley weak, go figure.

3. President E. Howard
    November 30, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Agree with Longhorn. When it comes to Valley football we are always dealing with relativism and moral victories. Maybe the dirty little secret is piss poor coaching. Most coaches here are former Valley players who learned under their own Valley coaches thus you have cyclical mediocrity in place OR outsiders who come down to coach who have already proven they can fail elsewhere. Simply because someone who was a good player here years ago and shows off his testosterone every time he talks does not mean he really knows anything about developing talent and X’s and O’s. Being the Best in the Valley is simply like the Giants and Redskins being the best in the NFC East….the Best of the Least! Jerry Deal comments: I remember that years ago, it was San Antonio on down south that hardly ever made the state finals. Then along came SA Lee and Corpus Christi Miller and those areas started being stronger. Years later (now) the SA schools are among the best and some Corpus also, Calallen for example. Does anyone remember the exact year that Donna won a state football championship. It was in the late 1950s or early 1960s, I believe. I also think that was the only Valley state champion and many of those players went on to become college players and even some professionals. Jerry Deal comments further: I just looked it up, it was 1961 and in Class 2A. Yes, it was the only RGV state champion, and it was 54 years ago.

• President E. Howard
      November 30, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Yes, there was a feature on them in the VMS a couple years back. Great accomplishment but none of them went on to play professional and if I remember right none played in college.

4. erlkonig
    November 30, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Eh, San Antonio schools don’t really measure up either. It’s the DFWs and the Houstons that win championships, with a few Austin area schools like Lake Travis and Westlake. Why, I dunno, maybe it has something to do with schools that have a student body of 3,000 plus… Why do we have different classes, but no upper limit on 6A? Allen HS has over 6,000 kids, Plano Senior HS has well over 2,600 kids not including freshmen and sophmores. With student bodies that big, you are bond to field a lot of good players. Kudos to Harlingen for playing tough non-district games though, to be the best you have to play the best, or get out of the valley at least. Go Big Red!

• Angry Man
      November 30, 2015 at 5:44 pm

Are you serious…Pace, Rivera, Lopez, Hanna, those kids are bullied by the Cardinals. Smithson Valley, put a lesson on adjustments. McAllen exposed Harlingen safeties and corners, specially the left side. Out of Valley coaches 1000 times better than locals.

• President E. Howard
        December 1, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Angry Man nailed it…spoke the ‘taboo’ truth.

• erlkonig
        December 1, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Don’t exactly know what you are ranting about, because I think Manny Gomez is a great coach because he has Harlingen owning 6A valley district football again. Gomez will be up there with Jesse Longhoffer and his good Card teams. ’89 Cards was one of the best in my book, Leo Araguz, Garth Fennigan to name a couple. ’95 team under Boyd had Maurice.

I saw the highlight of the Memorial game, and that McAllen kid was like 8 feet tall so that alone exposes “any” scheme. I’m telling you those perennial football power houses up north have large student bodies that make it ultra competitive to be on the team. Not dismissing any student athlete but it is what it is.

• President E. Howard
          December 1, 2015 at 10:25 pm

Greatness is measured by beating other Valley teams? Beating one ranked team one time some years ago? I stand corrected. Valley football is great.

• erlkonig
          December 2, 2015 at 8:02 am

No 5A/6A valley teams have gotten beyond the semi-finals (Mission Eagles) or quarter finals (Cardinals), but Coach Gomez has had a lot of success returning to that level almost on a consistent basis. Coaches learn what works too, and I wouldn’t dismiss anything he has done. Either he or the Harlingen AD has the right idea to play tough non-district games to get the kids acclimated to tough situations. In the past, when the Cards got to the quarter finals, it was a blow out loss. These recent Card teams have made it more competitive. I like that, they don’t fold as easily as they have done in the past. I think the Harlingen kids should be proud of what they have done. I think they expect to make it this far every year, and if they do, they can only become better by being more accustomed to the playoff atmosphere.

• erlkonig
        December 1, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Besides a few years back Harlingen hung and beat Abilene Cooper in non-district who was ranked in the top 20 then.

5. The Real Dennis
    December 1, 2015 at 11:50 am

Congratulations to all who advanced and hold your head up since you did the impossible. As for the Cardinal game, the boys played their hearts out. Too bad that the offense coach made the wrong calls when they decided to throw instead of running the ball successfully like they were. Oh well, that’s the way the ball bounces. Again, congratulations to all the teams that played their hearts out this past weekend.

6. Red Barchetta
    December 1, 2015 at 1:36 pm

All the armchair quarterbacks here are cracking me up. You guys/girls probably never played a down in your life. Reminds me of jjr talking about our local politics.

• IA
      December 2, 2015 at 6:09 am

I know for a fact that JJR has put you in your place more than once Red Barchetta without you even mustering a halfway decent rebuttal. It does not take all that much to watch the politics in the city of Harlingen to know who supports who for what they do. People like JJR, Joe Rubio and Kenneth Benton have a way for calling attention to people like you and watchdogs like this are needed to monitor all politics.

• Dan Fernandez
        December 2, 2015 at 1:10 pm

I’m convinced that IA stands for “Intelligence Absent.”

• jjr
          December 3, 2015 at 12:01 am

Whoa,look who’s talking. Your just as pathetic as RB when it comes to backing up anything you state Dan. Give me a break.

• IA
            December 3, 2015 at 1:10 pm

You are the guy who does not know the responsibilities of the city managers and makes himself look even more stupid trying to save face Dan Fernandez.

7. President E. Howard
    December 1, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Armchair QB’s? Isn’t that what this whole blog is? We have people on here who micro-analyze every move that happens at the PD and city hall yet has done nothing themselves at least that I know of. Then we have the funny fella who comes on here and tells how it should be economically in this city. And someone pointed out to me he lives in a dive and has weeds for a yard. So a man who can’t succeed in his own real life seems to want to be taken seriously when telling everyone how the city should run its economic affairs? And someone finally gets upset about armchair QB’s. Gimme a break.

• Kenneth J Benton
      December 5, 2015 at 1:23 pm

I suppose you like your lies as well as lie like unethical. bank robbing mayors, eh?

You don’t know me or my history scum queen.

8. March 28, 2016 at 12:49 pm