Benton says why he is running for mayor

EDITOR’S NOTE: The following is a statement from Kenneth Benton, saying why he will run for mayor in the next city election.
One year. One more year we are forced to endure park benches, way finding signs and low wage jobs as budget priorities and economic developments.
The city manager barricades city hall and the quest for revenue incents our police force to stop everybody to pay for the new jail certificates of obligation.
The need for change is clear. I know many were disappointed with the last commission and its failure to step up and this one has no vision except “do nada.”
One more year. Then, with your help we turn the ideas, energy talent and dreams of the next generaation loose to make this a city where opportunity and prosperity are not confined to but the few, the insiders who give nothing back. No, this place was ordained to be a better place, a city on a hill.
Now you know why I’m running for mayor.

18 comments for “Benton says why he is running for mayor

1. President E. Howard
    May 9, 2014 at 4:54 am

Great idea! Maybe Mr. Benton can post his resume so we can know who we are voting for? I’d like to see his personal accomplishments and how he has been successful in his own life so as to feel comfortable that he has the where with all to help our city. This is a serious request. I, and I assume many of us, only know Mr. Benton through his postings here. He’s good at talking but I’ve come to realize I’ve never seen his signature anywhere where I can say, “oh that’s Mr. Benton from the blog”. I assume he’s some sort of successful businessman but would like to know what he does exactly. Knowing what a person does is the biggest indicator of how that person can be valuable as a leader.

• Joe Rubio 956-536-6515
      May 9, 2014 at 2:55 pm

It’s a set-up Kenneth. President E. Howard was whisked away in the last Alien ship in the H-Files conspiracy stories. He is using a fake name. I know Kenneth because the DAWG ran E. Howard thru the database and he does not exist.

“President Howard, it is a crime to call yourself President unless you rule in the Island of Bananas, Coconuts & pendejos.”

“Kenneth ask the “Establishment” if they know who President Howard is?”

• President E. Howard
        May 9, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Well Mr. Rubio, I do rule in that venue. You see I adopted the name from a sometimes poster named JJ Ortega. He had said that General Ricardo Sanchez might be the next great general to become president just like President E. Howard (Dwight D. Eisenhower maybe?). Too damn funny and ignorant so I couldn’t resist. As I have said countless times no one from your side or from the ‘establishment’ as you call them could pick me out of a lineup. Maybe your brother could who visited our place once to see some work done from a prospective contractor–nice guy your brother.

All kidding aside, I was serious. I do not know Mr. Benton and since he is running for Mayor I (and maybe others) would be interested in his accomplishments to see if he might make a good leader and be worthy of my vote. Kind of hard to vote for a smoking Nazi so I need assurance.

• Lucky 7, 7
          May 10, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Let me count the ways, the members of the city commission have ever done any accomplishments to deserve to be in the city commission, Tudor, no one knows him in his district. President Howard, list me the accompishments of Dan Castillo, lets begin with him being a bad police chief, next?

• Joe Rubio 956-536-6515
          May 11, 2014 at 2:10 am

My apologies President E. Howard. You do have a great sense of humor.

And all kidding aside, the endorsement of Kenneth Benton will be a serious issue to decide in the future. I can give you a few reasons why he would be a good Mayor and I could tell you the bad. Ultimately, this city has to produce a leader who knows true accountability and is willing to address the shortcomings of a city that is ready to explode in growth or die. The current leadership lacks the skills or the understanding that employees sometimes need to be fired.

We are running a “scare factory” of employees who have been threatened/disciplined/or terminated if they voice their opinion. And the public is dormant and misled by the governing body.

• jjr
        May 9, 2014 at 4:39 pm

A valuable leader? The ignorance of those who base a person’s worth on the job they hold or what they are a part of (as in signing “important papers”).

Would you call the thieves from ENRON valuable leaders? How about Bernie Madoff? I am more than sure these “valuable leaders” signed off on many important papers.

Valuable leader? How can the mayor be valuable when he being a lawyer,which most would think he would have sense. How is he valuable when he does not even know or recognize TEXAS LAW as in dealing with that dragged out annexation that ended up costing the taxpayers?

• Kenneth J. Benton
      May 9, 2014 at 6:47 pm
  2. Tyrone Smith
    May 9, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Is the brother going to wear socks during his campaign?

• Kenneth J. Benton
      May 9, 2014 at 7:00 pm

Keeping it real Tyrone. You should try it remember, “colors run”

so be yourself. I’m just Kenneth asi como me hizo Dios.

• Tyrone Smith
        May 12, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Kenneth my brother, listening to old rock and smoking that doobie, huh?

3. Joe Rubio 956-536-6515
    May 9, 2014 at 2:44 pm

According to my good friend Goober, you are so blind Kenneth to all the economic development that is here today & forthcoming in the future. Kenneth let me tell you a true story about Goobersville, Texas-population plus or minus 74,000.

Goobersville was the city in the Rio Grande Valley that other cities copied or were envious of. Goobersville was once “King Cotton” and now Goober calls it'”The Tropical Playground of Texas.” Over the years, people started seeing the Kings and Queens of the “Algodon Ball” along with the rest of the Royals. The peasants were the serving Mexicans but brown distinguished people of Goobersville, wanted to be at least a Prince or a Lady in Waiting. Goober went to his favorite “thinking” gold throne and started pondering.

He asked himself, “How can I show these pesky Mexicans that they have equal standing with us but they really don’t?” A-ha,” It came to Goober while executing a long, blonde-colored turd!” What if I allow a select few to come into my Kingdom? We will give them a small piece of the pie and they should be content. “Hay Caramba, it worked. Some of the Jaibas were released from their cages through the back door that had existed for years!” And Goober being as smart as Goober is, made them useful and wanted. All they had to do was shine his shoozies and stand at a corner during the election period.

So the moral of the story Kenneth makes no sense. They……want you to prove yourself. They want a resume, personal accomplishments, and your leadership qualities. I wanna know if you were born in Kenya or Hawaii and if you can do the Obama 2-step.

And quit picking on my park benches! If you build it, the “tax man” cometh. These benches are necessary Kenneth. A thousand reasons for them but they do open doors for opportunities-it is just my theory. And as far as way-finding signs, someone has to tell me how to get to Harlingen from Goobersville, Texas. Yee-haw!

4. Kenneth J. Benton
    May 9, 2014 at 5:06 pm

I was going to claim I wrote this song or at least played in the back up band….but of course I did not.

Sunday is mother’s day. Ladies, even paigey sue with eyes of red, have a blessed and wonderful weekend.

5. Red Barchetta
    May 10, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Keys to Kenneth Benton losing the election, as I see it (and based on results of past local elections): Pick up endorsements from Jerry Deal, Joe Rubio, Gail Moore, Jerry Prepejchal, Leftwich, Shoffeitt, and/or Chapa. The more of these characters you have on your side and actively campaigning on your behalf, the worse off you will be.
    Jerry Deal comments: Sorry Big Red, but my record is pretty good overall. But, who is keeping score? Not me.

6. Lucky 7, 7
    May 10, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Mr. Joe Rubio, this town has always being occupied and run by rednecks, and few Oreos that think they are not brown. Puros lambiscones. As for Ken Benton running for Mayor, go for it Ken, my recommendations quit being a nice guy, start bomb throwing, if anything at least expose the bastards.

7. Tyrone Smith
    May 13, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Kenneth my brother, didn’t you say that whoever runs for Mayor had to be qualified? Are you really qualified, my brother? Didn’t your ex-boss say that you were not qualified to run back then? I know this other cat who has the qualifications to run for Mayor and word is that he just might. This cat has over 25 years of experience in his own business, city manager and President for the EDC. Isn’t that qualified enough for you Ken, my brother?

8. Booker Lee Davis
    May 13, 2014 at 9:52 pm

To my man Tyrone, listen here my brotha, anyone is better than what we have sitting as Mayor. There are lots of street lights burnt out, the streets are in dire need of resurfing, the alleys in the citrus terrace sub.resembles streets in Matamoros. My brothers, lets concentrate on the matters at hand and worry about the qualifications last. As long as Brotha Benton meets the requirements in the charter. My brother is qualified to seek the mayoral post.

9. Red Barchetta
    May 14, 2014 at 9:25 am

Qualifications and suitability need to be considered. Emphasis on the latter.

10. Tyrone Smith
    May 20, 2014 at 4:47 pm

My brother Kenneth, are you still be padded by Bobby Farris? I hear that Mr. Farris likes to fire people who ask for raises for being loyal drivers and employees. Mr. Farris going to supplement your campaign my brother? Its a long shot that you will win since he is part of that group that control Harlingen. You still running errands for him?

Comments are closed.